Insect bite in dogs: symptoms, prevention & first aid

Insect bite in dogs: symptoms, prevention & first aid

In the summer, wasps, bees and hornets are on the move and many dogs snap at the animals flying around. Insect bites are not only painful for dogs, they can even be life-threatening.
What you can do if your dog has been stung by an insect, when the bite is dangerous and how to prevent it, read here.

Take special care when walking and on the food bowl

Hornets, bees and wasps pose particular risks in their nest area. Therefore, dog owners should always keep their eyes open when walking, so that their dog does not come near a nest. Likewise, dogs can eat insects when they eat or drink, which is why the water bowl should be checked regularly and the dog should be fed indoors. Snapping for insects should also always be prevented to prevent them from entering the mouth and throat.

Symptoms after an insect bite

If you have observed that your dog was stung by an insect, he suddenly howls, licks itself repeatedly in one part of his body or salivates badly, you should look for a puncture site, swelling or redness. Even if dogs suddenly raise their limbs and limp, an insect bite can be the cause.

Depending on the part of the body where a dog is pricked, the symptoms can vary. Swelling usually occurs at the injection site. With a bee sting, a sting remains, but a wasp can sting several times and does not leave a sting. Even hornet or bumblebee stings do not leave a sting.

If there is a prick in the mouth, throat or throat area, the mucous membranes can swell, which can lead to breathing difficulties, suffocation symptoms and even loss of consciousness. In addition, dogs can be allergic to the toxins and become shocked. A veterinarian must decide whether the dog is actually suffering from anaphylactic shock and should be presented with the dog as soon as possible if suspected.

Immediate measures and first aid after an insect bite

An insect bite is usually harmless, so dog owners should stay calm at first. Then the puncture site must be treated. If dogs have been stung by a bee, the sting can be removed with tweezers. The area should then be cooled with a damp, cold cloth, running water or an ice pack wrapped in a cloth.

If the dog was stung in the mouth or throat, you should cool from the outside and watch the dog closely. Since the airways can be blocked in a short time, it is advisable to see a veterinarian immediately as soon as the dog’s neck or tongue swell, he appears apathetic, wheezes and shows shortness of breath.

The way to the vet

After an insect bite, you can already contact your veterinarian by phone to ensure that the practice is open and that the veterinarian can prepare if necessary. On the way to the practice, it is advisable to drive in pairs so that one person can cool the injection site and continue to watch the dog. If it is known that the dog is allergic to insect bites, dog owners can get the appropriate emergency medication from their veterinarian, which they can administer themselves in an emergency.

In summary: symptoms of an insect bite

  • Sudden crying or limping
  • Strong salivation
  • Licking a part of the body or itching
  • swelling or redness
  • difficulty breathing / suffocation symptoms
  • state of shock and loss of consciousness

Prevent insect bites

  • Training: Snapping for insects should be prevented in puppy age
  • Wasp nests on the house or in the garden should be removed as soon as possible
  • The dog’s food should not stand around outside
  • The water bowl should be checked regularly
  • In the event of an allergy, have an emergency medication ready

Leave a Reply