Food and plants that are poison to the dog

Food and plants that are poison to the dog

What we like does not have to be good for the dog. It can be extremely harmful to health and can even lead to death. The reason is that dogs metabolize some foods differently than humans. If you suspect that your dog has come into contact with poison or has ingested it, please call the veterinarian immediately – even in the evening or at the weekend.

Toxic foods – chocolate and Co.

The poisonous foods include chocolate (!), Some types of avocado, grapes and raisins, raw pork and onions of all kinds. Small amounts can, but do not yet have to cause symptoms of poisoning. It always depends on the amount, the body weight of the dog and the dog breed.

Chocolate not only causes harmful hip fat, but can also cause severe poisoning in the four-legged friends. Because cocoa contains theobromine, which is lethal in a dose of 100mg per kg body weight of the dog. Symptoms of poisoning occur, however, even in much smaller quantities. Epileptic dogs react particularly violently to chocolate. Even a tiny bit can trigger severe seizures. In other dogs, snacking after four to twelve hours leads to the following symptoms: restlessness, agitation, vomiting and diarrhea. In addition, there is a strong urge to urinate to incontinence, muscle tremors, muscle cramps and paralysis of the hindquarters. The death of the animal is caused by heart failure. To make matters worse, theobromine is excreted very slowly by dogs. If the dog regularly receives a piece of chocolate, theobromine can accumulate in the body. The higher the cocoa content in a chocolate, the more dangerous it is for four-legged friends!

In the case of avocados, the ingredient persin is responsible for the symptoms of poisoning. Here too, too high a dose can lead to fatal weakness of the heart muscle. Raw pork may contain the non-hazardous pseudo-rage virus, which is fatal to dogs. Large quantities of grapes and raisins can cause acute kidney failure in dogs, which can lead to death. Bulbs of onions, whether raw, cooked or steamed, all contain the substances allyl propyl disulfide and N-propyl disulfide. These cause the red blood cells to be destroyed and, over time, can cause life-threatening anemia.
Toxic plants
The toxicity of plants is often underestimated. Most dog owners do not know that they have a plant in the house or garden that is poisonous to the dog. The most poisonous plants that occur in nature include: laburnum, aconite, foxglove, bastard, boxwood, yew, lily of the valley and oleander. Most of these plants cause severe gastrointestinal irritation, with vomiting and diarrhea. In larger quantities, however, they can also lead to death. You should be careful with the following houseplants: ivy, philodendron, calla, potazalee, primroses, dieffenbachia, poinsettia and coral trees.

Leave a Reply